What are Special Needs?
Students with special needs are students with disabilities, health related conditions or learning difficulties. The term disability encompasses children with an intellectual disability, physical disability, vision impairment, hearing impairment, language disorder, mental health condition or autism. Some student’s might have specific learning needs which could include ESL learners with varying levels of language, literacy and conceptual understanding.
Should you require additional support during the program, please advise your Trainer who will refer you to an appropriate support service. For assistance with improvement of reading and/or writing, we can assist you in sourcing an appropriate external support organisation such as the Reading, Writing Hotline on 1300 655 506. We will endeavour to provide welfare and guidance to all learners wherever possible. This may include:
- Pre-Program interviews.
- Workplace Health and Safety.
- Provision for special learning needs.
- Provision for special cultural and religious needs.
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
- Flexible Learning Options.
- Alternative assessment strategies.
- Review of payment schedules if required.
- Training premises accessible for people with disabilities.
- If a student has a problem with any unit of competency or course, they should feel free to discuss their concerns with either the trainer and assessor or ourAdministration Staff. If the support needs extend to a need for counselling the learner will be referred to an appropriate external support agency.
Any fees associated with these services will be at the expense of the trainee and explained in detail at the time of referral.
Some support service and their contact numbers are listed below:
- Police/Fire/Ambulance 000
- Interpreting Services: 13 14 50
- Poisons Information Centre 13 11 26
- Abortion Grief Counselling 1300 363 550
- Alcohol and Drug Information Serv. 1800 177833 (24-hour counselling and information)
- Domestic Violence helpline 1800 811 811
- Lifeline 131 114
- Men’s Line Australia 1300 789 978
- Pregnancy Counselling Australia 1300 737732
- Pregnancy Help Line 1300 792 79
- Quitline 13 78 48
- Salvation Army 1300 363 622
- Statewide Sexual Assault Helpline 1800 010120
- Head Space – Youth Mental Health Initiative Program
- Beyond Blue – advice and support for anxiety and depression